For prospective students, the first contact point is the Registrar (also see Prospective Students). It provides information about the college and the admission process for each school. Application to the School of Graduate Studies and Research requires the following attachments:
- Statement of Purpose: This statement is part of the application and should discuss the applicant's preparation for graduate school and reasons for pursuing a graduate degree.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Official scores from the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- In addition to the GRE, the TOEFL is required for International Students.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or persons who are qualified to certify the applicant's abilities or character.
The application deadline for all programs within the School of Graduate Studies and Research is March 15 of each year for the following fall semester.
Enrollment in the School of Graduate Studies and Research is competitive; applications are evaluated from the standpoints of scholarship, intelligence, aptitude, character, and general fitness. Perhaps more important, the mission of Meharry Medical College includes empathy for the disadvantaged, education in the health sciences, and maintenance of a center of excellence for the practice and delivery of health care. Any preference for applicants is given in light of this mission.
An applicant may request a fee waiver by sending an email to the dean of the Graduate
School (graduate school applicants only, please). The fee is not credited toward tuition
if the applicant is accepted. Make the fee waiver request to:
Dr. Maria Lima, Dean
School of Graduate Studies and Research